Saturday, October 15, 2011

Half Full Triathlon Relay.

About 2 weeks ago, I drove to Maryland for the Ulman Cancer Fund's Half Full Triathlon. I was planning on heading down solo and leaving Enzo at my parents but on a whim I asked my mom if she wanted to take the trip with me. My parents are like conjoined twins. The last time my mom slept somewhere my dad did not was when she had to spend a few night in the hospital.  I actually thought they were joking when they told me my mom was going to come with me while my dad puppy sat.

After about 3.5 hours of conversation, we were soon pulling into Union Jacks for the Team Fight Luncheon.  Last year, I was selected to make a presentation at the lunch and participate on a relay team. I was invited back this year by Brian Satola the RD to race on a Team Fight  Relay Team along with Steve Johnson (who would be swimming and riding.)  Thank you Steve, for without you I would not have been able to return.  I am a runner, not a triathlete (yet... *wink, wink*). 

Fast forwarding to the drive home, I was high on endorphins and talking about how much I love this race.  My mom, who rarely accompanies to runs, but knows I race often genuinely asked "Why?  What makes this race so special?" I thought for a moment and first thing I said was "Everything is just so nice!  The people, the event, the RD's, the Ulman Fund team, the Team Fight people, the course, the shirts, just everything."

To start, there was the moving speech by Aaron about his experience at the Team Fight lunch.  This really emphasized why all these people were here, not just to compete but to do something for young adults effected by cancer. The lunch concluded with the Half Full Triathlon YouTube Video  which is worth a look if you have a moment.  Besides the Team Fight people being amazing, the Half Full RD's do such a great job making sure everything is done well.

At 5 am my alarm when off and I was so scared to go outside.  I haven't been out in 45 degrees since maybe March, so this was going to be a shock to my system.  It was only on that Saturday that the universe decided it would be Fall in the North East.  It was 70's all week and then 50's on Saturday.  On Sunday it was cold and raining when we left for the event. 

I met Steve at the transition and felt so bad that he was going to have jump into the water for .9 miles soon.  He was ok with that part but more concerned with having to bike 56 miles while cold and wet.  I let him prep and planned to cheer him on at the start and at the transition.

There are some interesting things about being part of the relay.  First I got to hang out at the exciting event all day and this was a lot of fun.  But not knowing exactly when I would be starting was unusual.  Any other race, I have my routine down.  It is not very complicated.  Drink, pee, change shoes and head to start.  But in this case, I was not sure when Steve would be in.  There is always a lot of standing around, getting cold, warming up, then getting cold and finally Steve was in!