Sunday, August 23, 2015

July and August Update

It has been a while since I last posted a race report.  It bothers me to not write race reports after each race. This is the first time since I started racing again in 2006, that I haven't written reports afterwards.

In July I raced 3 times. First there was the Woodbridge Run for Pizza where I was 3rd OA Female on a hot humid mid-July night.  It was about one million percent humidity, give or take.  Mark H. raced with me.  We purposely tried to use this race as an exercise in pacing evenly.  LOL! We decided to target 27:00 and hoped to break it.  Unfortunately, we did not reach our goal.  It was simply too hot/humid.  But we did well and both won awards so that made it fun! I finished in 27:44. 

In mid-July, I also ran one of my most favorite races in NJ, Running with the Devil 6 hour.  However this was by far my worst showing at this event.  Running with the Devil starts inside a ski lodge and then we run 5k loops up and down a ski slope.  It is the hardest race I run.  With the exception of meeting John and running with him for many miles and enjoying our chat, I would have said that this race experience was heartbreaking for me.  But I had a good excuse for logging only 12 miles during this 6 hour mountain event before going home early.  I had no idea what place I was in when I left.  But what I do know is just prior to starting Rick asked me if I wanted to go after the CR.  I said something like..."Sure, if I feel good I might be able to try... but I need to finish the first lap in under 45 minutes to have a chance."  Just before  I left, I ask Rick if he had any idea when I discovered the CR was out of reach?  He guessed "The end of lap 1?"  I said "Oh no" and I pointed to the first incline we could see from the lodge.  "Right there, Rick… Right there"  That first incline let me know that I was out of my mind for thinking I had a shot at it. I love this race, but I will never be fast there.

In mid-July, I also started something I had wanted to do for a really long time, return to Graduate School to get a Master of Science degree in Kinesiology (the study of human movement) with a concentration in Sports Psychology. I started with a research class and the work takes a lot of time.  I am so genuinely interested in the subject that often I would rather do nothing else than pull research and learn as much as I can while I have the chance.  I should have never attended Running with the Devil, but I don't think I have ever missed one.  I had a paper to write and not enough time to do it.  Running for 6 hours was not going to help me get my work done, so I left the race early.

A few days later I ran the Westfield Pizza Run.  Clearly I have a thing for Pizza.  Really, I love pizza.  I had low expectations for this event. 12 miles at Running with the Devil took a lot out of me.  This race was Wednesday night.  But once I saw Jim O. my spirits lifted.  I really enjoy racing with Jim.  His love of the sport is amazing and I appreciate how he pays equal attention to the leaders of both the men's and women's races.  If I see Jim en route, he is sure to give he helpful information about my placement and my competition. Jim and I have spent many miles racing each other and I always enjoy running with him.  I did much better than I expected at Westfield.   I was 9th female at this very large race of over 2100 runners in 20:32 (6:39 pace). 

So that is the quick and dirty on why I have not been posting and what I have done.  Basically every weekend, I now scramble to complete training plans and research assignments before Sunday night. It is always a close race.

Now that I am caught up here with and with my school work, I will take some time to draft an appropriate Race Report for the Belmar Chase 5k. Stay tuned ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment