Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day 5k, Summit, NJ 5/10/15

Last night I was up close to midnight reviewing Assessments for my newest runners.  I love the way it feels to think about a fresh start and all the potential that comes with making a focused effort towards a personal goal.

I had given myself a long time (a few months now) of unfocused running without any real goals to target.  But I feel more than ready to get back to work and find my runner-self again.

Today's 5k would be my baseline test, to see where I stand and how much work I need to do.

I weighed in this morning.  Oh boy.  Despite my recent effort to eat well I am still hovering at the heaviest I have been in a long time.  On a good day, recently, I will weigh in at 121.  At my fastest I was 114. This morning I was 124.  That is a LOT of extra weight to carry for a short person.  I suspect the sodium that accompanied my sushi dinner last night may have caused me to retain some water. (I can hope, right?).  Either way, I don't mine starting my baseline testing on the heavy side because I feel like I am stacking the deck in my favor.  As I get lighter, results will come easier and motivation will grow. 

I was excited to race again with Andrew this morning. There is something very inspiring about training with someone very new to the sport.  Not everyone approaches racing with his enthusiasm.  It is really great energy to be around!  He reminds me of how I felt when I first started racing on my own down in Miami. There is a lot to learn and I am happy to get to share.  I know he has raced a few times since our last run at the 15k.  He has been doing well.   

I didn't know any thing about this course, but I saw Mark W. at the staring line. He mentioned that it was hilly around the half way point.  I discussed with Andrew whether we should use this race as an exercise in pacing, to try to start very slow, master controlling the race and speed up as we go… then Mark turned and said, "Don't forget this is a points race."  Well, I do need points.   So Andrew and I decided, forget controlled pacing… this was a race so we are going to race it.  We can find another event to throw away. 

I had no idea what I would do.  The 15k I ran last was at a 7:39 pace.  I was hoping to stay under 7 minute pace, but I was not really sure that would happen.  It was very humid and the hottest day race of the year for me.

I also decided to break in a new pair of fluorescent yellow racing flats. I cannot believe how bright they were.  I ordered them online.  These are the type of shoes you wear when you plan to win.  I was clearly wearing someone else's shoes.  But I wanted to wear them to longer races. Since my feet have not been in a pair of T7's in a long time,  I knew I needed to do a short race first to reacquaint myself with them.

Regardless of what happened today, the beauty of a check in race is that it doesn't matter what happens. It is just a baseline assessment to use as a starting point. Whatever happens, I will still end up with some data I can use.  The more stressful races are those that follow the check in. 

The Gun Goes Off!
It is downhill to the start and we turn right.  I find a clean line and take it.  This feels amazing. I have not run this fast in a long time.  I feel like I haven't missed a beat.  I can't believe I can move this fast.  It may have been only .1-.2 tenths of  mile when I look down and my watch says something that starts with a 5:xx.  LOL!!!!   "Rookie" I think to myself. "Slow down."  I can see the leaders and count ladies.  Two are ahead of me.  This mile does not feel as bad as I imagined it would.  I try to reign in my enthusiasm.  M1 6:27

I can feel my quads burning and I know that it only took me six and half minutes to make some very bad decision about pacing.  LOL!  I am going to fade hard and there is nothing I can do to stop it.  Then we start to go up.  Great!  Lots of turns and uphill sections.  As the hill gets steeper, I get slower.  Many people pass me but this is not a surprise. By the time we hit the top of then hill I am 6th female.  M2 7:20.

I still have high hopes of having something to give on the way back down.  I end up not having as much speed on the decline as I thought I would. I wonder if I any women are going to catch me. I pass a spectator who tell me what position I am in amongst the ladies.  I listen to hear whether he provides any similar information to the people behind me within earshot. I try to assess if people are closing in without turning my head. I do not hear him tell anyone they are 7th female.  I assume this means only men are in striking range as we work our way home.  Despite the last few tenths of this mile being inclined, I hold my position through Mile 3.  M3 7:03

The final .1 is uphill back to the finish line, and I can hear a challenger behind me.  I do dig for a kick and there is a little something there. 42 seconds for the last .1 (6:40 pace).

Shortly after I finished, Andrew came sprinting in to a new PR for him.

This was a good day!

Stats:
Time: 21:26 (6:58 pace)
OA Place - 20th OA
Gender Place - 6th
AG Place - 2nd 

No comments:

Post a Comment